My life, soundtrack and all :)

this is the closest you will come to understanding how my mind works :)

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Censorship of Huckleberry Finn.

I AM OUTRAGED BY THIS!!!!!!!

They're coming up with a version of Huck Finn that doesn't use the "N" word. Here's a really short article about it


But it really doesn't say anything except what I said.

I cannot believe this!
Last year they had us read 1984, The Color Purple, and Of Mice and Men

Controversial Subjects that these books have in them
1984-sex scenes
The Color Purple- lesbian sex scenes
Of Mice and Men-This one I'm gonna go on a little bit of a rant about. Near the beginning of the book, some of the workers are complaining about Candy's dog and that it smells bad and stuff, so even though Candy doesn't want them to, they shoot him in the back of the head to "put him out of his misery". In the end, George shoots Lenny in the back of the head too because he would be "better off that way" because otherwise he would be lynched by Curly and the rest of them. Basically, in the end they treat this mentally handicapped person the same way they treated Candy's crusty, old, smelly, diseased dog.

Yet no one is censoring or banning these books, are they?
Furthermore, Huck Finn, 1984 and Of Mice and Men are three of my favorite books (I didn't really like The Color Purple, but don't get me wrong it wasn't because of what I mentioned earlier. The story was actually pretty good. I just didn't like the way it was written.). No one has complained about 1984 or Of Mice and Men or The Color purple, so we still read them.

You know why no one has complained about them and have focused their attention on Huck Finn instead?

BECAUSE HUCK FINN MAKES THE SOUTHERNERS LOOK LIKE TOTAL A-HOLES!
Or at least, like they were a-holes back then. THAT'S BECAUSE THEY WERE! It's the truth about what happened back then! People used that word back then. Get over it-it doesn't mean you still do today.
Some people can't stand to admit that they messed up in the past. I'm a descendent of the Vikings. The vikings were dicks. But I can admit that I'm related to them, because it's true! It doesn't mean that I act like them, it just means that a long long time ago a mommy viking and a daddy viking loved each other very much and decided to have babies, and those babies had babies, and it went on and on like that up to now, when I was born.

What's next? At the rate we're going, we're going to end up just like 1984! We'll have the thought police banging down our doors for talking in our sleep.
Well I talk in my sleep so I'm pretty much screwed. Before they drag me to room 101, let me say one thing:

DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER!

2 comments:

  1. Agreed! People need to get over it, accept our history, and realize that what our ancestors did doesn't make US bad people as long as we learn from it.

    I love your viking analogy by the way. So funny! (And true :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! ^.^
    and this is something I feel really strongly about! Huck Finn is a CLASSIC work of literature! And as I mentioned it's one of my favorites. I read Tom Sawyer and huck Finn when I was in third grade, and I think if I could handle it at that age that the kids who would be reading it for school can handle it now.
    Don't get me wrong, I do not think it's okay for people to say the n word, but that's just how it was back then! It's like editing slavery out of history books to make Americans look better.

    ReplyDelete