My life, soundtrack and all :)

this is the closest you will come to understanding how my mind works :)

Saturday, August 28, 2010

just a random thought...

Ok. So, as I'm sure you all know, when bands do covers of songs, most of the time they suck massively. However, every once in a while, you find a cover that is as good as or even better than the original. So, since I'm in kind of a list-writing mood, I'm going to list both of these.

Covers Of Songs That Are As Good As The Originals
-bowling for soup's version of "sick of myself" by Matthew Sweet (the Matthew Sweet version is on my playlist on here, because I couldn't find the cover(
-bowling for soup's version of "I melt with you" by Modern English (the bowling for soup version is on my playlist because I love the kazoo part :) but it was a tough decision between this version and the original... i love them both)
-New Found Glory's version of "the king of wishful thinking" by go west (new found glory version on my playlist, because i love new found glory )
New Found Glory's version of "the promise" by when in rome (neither version is on my playlist because i couldnt find it XP sadly)
-amber pacific's version of "video killed the radio star" by the buggles (both versions are on my playlist!!!!! did you know that this was the first song ever played on MTV??? back when they still played music instead of reality shows??? plus its on the empire records soundtrack... okay maybe the original is a bit better :D but the amber pacific version is close)
-simple plan's version of "happy together" by the turtles (simple plan version is on my playlist)
-bowling for soup's version of "baby one more time" by britney spears (original is on my playlist... to be honest, i think the reason why the cover is as good as the original is because it is pretty much impossible to ruin this song :) i love britney, even if she is crazy)

Covers Of Songs That Are BETTER Than The Original

-The Maine's version of "pour some sugar on me" by Deff Leopard (cover is on my playlist because it is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! John O. is incredible and also my future husband... or he would be if there wasn't like a 6 year age difference between us :P plus, honestly, i think id be happier with pat... only a 4 year age difference, and he is equally adorable! okay enough ranting about The Maine...)
-Life On Repeat's version of "party in the USA" by Miley Cyrus (Life On Repeat version is on my playlist of course!)
-Me First and the Gimme Gimmes version of "where do broken hearts go?" by Whitney Houston (Me First and the Gimme Gimmes version is on my playlist. Whitney Houston makes me gag, to be honest)

and i also feel it is necessary to write...

Most Epic Cover Fails Of All Time
-The Grateful Dead's version of "Me and Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin (I love the dead with all my heart. I'm a huge deadhead... but really, what were they thinking? whos idea was this? Not Jerry's idea, I'm sure. He was smarter than that. No one can sing Janis Joplin except Janis Joplin)
-any cover of "soak up the sun" by Sheryl Crow (Really?!? I hated the original version of this song. Yet I've heard about 5 covers of it, and they all suck. Why do people cover this song?? Why?)
-Deathcab for cutie's version of "sick of myself" by Matthew Sweet (failure.)
-Cartel's version of "wonderwall" by oasis (they totally messed up the words!!!! plus the original version was already amazing!!! how did they think they could possibly improve it??? original is in my playlist :) love that song)
-never shout never's version of "bohemian rhapsody" by Queen ( I love never shout never, but this is another one of those songs that can't be covered. original is on my playlist)
-bedlight for blue eyes's version of "jumper" by third eye blind (no one messes with third eye blind. no one.)


well now that ive cleared that up... im gonna go do something even less productive XD
-Ezi :)

2 comments:

  1. Do you mean The Bangles for 'Video Killed the Radio Star'?

    Also, why would anyone EVER try to cover 'Bohemian Rhapsody'? They must have a freaking death wish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. no it was The Buggles...

    my thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!!!! even though i love nevershoutnever... oh and i have one more to add;

    -New Found Glory's version of "hotel california" by The Eagles (i love love love new found glory, but i was so mad after i found out they covered this song that i wouldnt listen to them for like a week >.<)

    ReplyDelete